How many drivers are there under Uber, Didi, Lyft, Sidecar? I am doing research but I am having trouble finding this information.
How many drivers are there under Uber, Didi, Lyft, Sidecar? I am doing rese...
The Guru Take
Fierce competition for drivers.
These companies compete fiercely for drivers, as the number of drivers directly affects their revenue, level of service, market share, etc. However, this information is very hard to find for a few reasons:
- Most drivers utilize multiple platforms. In US, most sign up for both Uber and Lyft.
- The definition of "driver" is vague. For example
- There are many part-time or one-time drivers.
- There are many “drivers” who signed up but have never driven (yet).
- There are people who have the app, but no longer drive. The turnover is known to be very high for drivers.
- Different companies support different services, so in many cases, it's like comparing apples and oranges. For example, GoJek is mostly motorcycle drivers, while Didi Chuxing has regular taxis and buses that use their platform.
The companies often inflate the numbers for bragging rights, of course, but without a proper measuring stick, it's almost impossible to tell. For Uber, a figure of 160,000 has been thrown around (in 2015). For GoJek around 200,000. For Didi Chuxing, they are talking 1~2 millions, but that also includes mostly of taxi drivers who utilize Didi's platform.
The more appropriate metric of comparison is probably the number of rides delivered...though that's also up for debate. Revenue? Valuation?