How do I catch an Uber from NY Penn Station and Madison Square Garden?
The Guru Take
No designated drop-off and pickup areas. Make sure to communicate with the adriver.
There is often significant traffic and people walking around New York Penn Station and Madison Square Garden (MSG). This is especially true during events at MSH and duing rush hour when many are traveling on the trains and buses.
The Penn Station occupies the entire block between 8th Avenue and 7th Aveue, between W 34th St and W 31 St. (Be careful: The 31st and 32nd do not go through the block.)
For taxis, there are taxi stands on both 8th Avenue and 7th Avenue. For private hires and rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft, it is important to inform the driver exactly where to be picked up. Here are the actual entrances that you can specify:
- West 34th St between 7th and 8th Ave
- 7th Avenue at 34th, 33rd, or 31st streets
- 8th Avenue at 34th, 33rd, or 31st streets
Here are few considerations:
- If you would like to go Northbound, choose the 8th Avenue. If Southbound, choose the 7th Avenue.
- Generally speaking, there usually is less traffic on 8th Avenue, as the foot traffic is slightly lighter.
- Watch out for events such as sporting events and music concerts.
- If you do not have too much luggage, it may be easier to catch a ride by walking a few blocks away from the location.