Can I drive a pickup truck for Uber? I do have an extended cab, i.e. backseats.
The Guru Take
Yes , you can.
Yes, pickup trucks are permitted for use by UberX drivers. Just make sure that you have four doors and enough room and seats (and seatbelt) to transport a minimum of 4 passengers.
Below are some of the requirements. This example is taken from Boston, MA (USA), and it can vary slightly from state to state.
- 4-door vehicle with independently opening passenger doors
- Have 5 factory-installed seats and seat belts
- Must be 15 model years old or newer
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No vans, box trucks, or similar vehicles
- No taxi cabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles
- Title cannot be salvaged, reconstructed, or rebuilt.
- No rental vehicles
- No aftermarket seating modifications, such as installed seats, seat belts, or BedRyder systems
- Cannot have any cosmetic damage, missing pieces, commercial branding or taxi paint jobs.
With that said, you may want to do some careful math around gas mileage! Remember you would be driving for UberX and competing with other drivers driving Toyota Prius and Honda Civic. You will not be granted any additional earnings by having a pickup truck! (as convenient for the riders as you would be!)