What are the driver requirements for Uber? What's involved in the background check and driving record check?
What are the driver requirements for Uber? What's involved in the background ...
The Guru Take
Here are the basics:
In the USA, the minimum requirements are:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have at least one year of driving experience in the U.S. (3 years if you are under 23 years old)
- Have a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Use an eligible 4-door vehicle
- A valid U.S. driver’s license
- Proof of vehicle registration
- Proof of vehicle insurance
Uber runs a personal background check (e.g. criminal records) and driving record check with your state. (e.g. speeding and traffic violations)
- A minimum of 1 year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 years old, must have at least 3 years licensing history)
- A clean Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in the past 3 years
- No DUIs and no reckless driving
- California Uber drivers must not have a DUI in the last 10 years.
- A clean criminal background check with no felonies or misdemeanors involving theft, violence or drugs in a given time frame
- No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.
- Uber does not perform a credit check
Examples of background check documents:
- County courthouse records for every county of residence for the last 7 years
- Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
- The multi-state criminal database going back 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Records
- Social Security Trace
- National Sex Offender Registry