Are there any ride share apps that allow me to use them in other locations while traveling? I want a truly mobile income and to be able to travel.
Driving in other cities. (Can I drive in another state or city to pick up passengers?)
The Guru Take
Driving in multiple cities
Yes. Lyft allows you to drive in multiple cities and states. You can only have one driving region on your profile but can travel outside of that region and complete rides. For more information visit their help page here.
Uber not so much. Lyft maybe. My old post from Quora
<posting my past Quora response to the question, "Can I drive Uber in any city?">
The generalized answer is “no.” You initially sign up for a specific city or a “market”, and you are allowed to pick up fares only within that geographical area. This is primarily due to state laws and regulations.
There are exceptions:
- If you pick up a fare in one city, and you end up in another as a destination, sure, you can drive there.
- You can usually drive in any city that’s within the same state. So if you sign up in Boston, you can also drive in Worcester, MA. The driver app is smart, and it will tell you.
Of course, you are allowed to change the city that’s on your profile, by submitting a request to Uber. This triggers some paperwork such as the background check. I hear you generally hear back within three weeks.
Needless to say, you can only drive Uber in cities where Uber operates.
Lyft: (Updated 2018/01)
Lyft has historically allowed you to drive in multiple cities across state borders. There was nothing you had to do, and you would get ride requests wherever you are. We have heard of Lyft drivers doing cross country trips while working across several states.
However, this stance by Lyft has changed recently. They are now requesting drivers to notify them which cities you will be working in. This is due to state-level rules and requirements the drivers need to follow, such as the background checks.
- The state-level requirements are listed here: https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/sections/115003494688
- Lyft's current stance on you driving for multiple cities/states is here: https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013080808-Driving-in-different-cities
- Even if the app allows you to drive in other states, I would be careful for your insurance coverage as your tax filing responsibilities. For example, your rideshare insurance you purchased in NY may not apply while you drive in AZ.