I live in Denver and am moving to Pittsburgh to live with a girlfreind. My car is too old to qualify for driving so I want to use hers and drive there in Pittsburgh. I know I need to get a PA drivers license and my name on her insurance policy. Can I start the application process now, or wait till I have moved? Not sure how long it takes.
Moving to a new city...
The Guru Take
You need the documentation before signing up. Insurance and License
You can sign up for an account at partners.uber.com, but you will not get that far into the process without three pieces of information. These are things you need to upload within the app in order to start the application and kick off the background check:
- Your driver's license
- Proof of insurance
- Vehicle registration
Since the background check is what takes the longest time, it's critical you have these three things in order. In terms of how long it takes, if you have all the documentation in good standing, the background check can take on average 1 to 2 weeks for most people.
Let's dig into each one:
1) Your driver's license. You may not need the PA license to apply to drive with Uber. This requirements around background check vary from city to city, but you are often allowed to have out-of-state license to drive in most markets. It does need to be valid and current of course, so they can check your driving records, but I would check with Uber directly. You can also research here.
2) Proof of Insurance. Yes, your name would have to be on the insurance policy, so your girlfriend would have to add you to it first. Then a picture of those pages will need to be uploaded.
3) Vehicle registration. Yes, this needs to be submitted and in good standing. Uber may ask follow up questions since it isn't in your name, but this is common to drive a car that isn't in your name. (In Pittsburgh, you do not need each car to be inspected, while in Philadelphia, you do. See how rules are different in each market?)
Needless to say, I would make sure to carefully choose Pittsburgh as the region you would like to drive in. Yes, you will get to specify the region, regardless of where you currently live. If you do not see this option in the app, or you forget to submit this preference, make sure to connect with Uber *before you kick off the background check* to make sure you are being qualified for the right city.
Some helpful articles:
- Vehicle Requirements in Pittsburgh
- Can I drive someone else's car for Uber? (or Can my friend drive my car for ...
- How long does Uber's background check and its process take? I just signed u ...
If you could, please use our sign up link to register!
or a promotion code: uber-unleashed
No comments yet. Be the first!