What is UberEVENTS? How can I pay for my guests? How does it work?
The Guru Take
A way for Event Host to pay for Guest's transportations
UberEVENTS is for people who are hosting parties or events and would like to provide transportation for their guests while footing the bill. You would pass out "ride passes" either through emails or postcards, and your guests can take Uber rides on your dime.
The guests would still have to use their own Uber account and their smartphones. They also have to request their own rides. The true benefit is for you, the event planner, to provide free rides and encourage people to take Uber (and potentially not drink and drive).
Here is how it works:
- You (the event planner) pays a deposit to Uber and puts down a payment method.
- Uber gives you ride passes that are in the form of "custom URL" or promo codes. You distribute these to your guests.
- Guests use these by clicking on the link you send or enter the promo code inside the Uber App
- Guests request a ride and the invoice is passed on to you, the host.
Some cool features:
- You pay only for the rides taken by your guests. Uber keeps track of the rides taken at your event, and charge you the consolidated bill to the payment method you have selected. (e.g. Credit Card. Other methods available if you contact Uber)
- You can put criteria aroudn the rides. For example, the rides can only be taken during certain hours and certain locations. You can even specify the maximum amount for each ride.
What is the cost of using Uber Events? (as of May 2018)
When you purchase rides for your event, a 25% authorization hold will be placed on your card to verify the payment method. This hold will be immediately voided.
In addition, there is a 2.5% administrative fee (on the full promotional value of ride passes) at the time of purchase, except for markets where the product is currently in beta (Brazil, New Zealand, Mexico). Both the service fee and the authorization hold are calculated off the total projected value of your event.