With Memorial Day Weekend in full swing, it is especially important to make sure you are getting into the right car when you call an Uber. During these busy travel times, there are more Uber driver impersonators than ever. People may try to trick you into thinking they are your driver so they might be able to steal from you, especially if you are seemingly intoxicated.
Here are 5 important steps you can take to make sure you don't get scammed!
1. If traveling with a group, have one person who is not intoxicated be in charge of requesting and finding the Uber car.
2. Check the make and model of the car before getting in, along with the license plate!
3. Look at the name and picture of your driver on your app and make sure they match the driver in the car.
4. Call or text the driver beforehand to find an exact meeting spot (at a certain intersection, road, or in front of a specific storefront) so you can easily find the car.
5. Before getting in, ask the driver to repeat your name.
No matter where you’re traveling this Memorial Day Weekend, make sure you keep these tips in mind. And don’t forget to use RideGuru to find the cheapest ride!