Is Uber eats worth it for drivers?
The Guru Take
I will let other drivers on the forum answer this, but here are some comments:
Are you a driver looking for more gigs? Then sure.
Drivers can receive both ride requests and food delivery requests on the same shift. Therefore, drivers can keep busy by accepting both regular requests and Uber EATS requests. It is a good way to increase the incoming requests.
Are you a driver who is already keeping busy with rides?
If the driver's shift is already busy picking up regular rides, he or she may opt out of Uber Eats requests that has a different pay scale. The rates are calculated in a similar fashion to regular rides but they are different. Drivers have to do the math which job to focus their shift on.
Is it worth the hassle? Gotta watch pickup/delivery policies
See, the time is of the essence to a Uber driver. Unlike regular rides, the drivers need to consider for the time lost during pickups and making the deliveries. Every market has a different policy but some instruct the drivers to go to the doors for pickup/delivery while some encourage customers to meet the driver curbside. This definitely will play into the drivers preferring UberEATS.
- We had a few drivers share with us that Uber Eats requests are usually short-distance trips, always less than a few miles. Since drivers are getting paid for the time/distance driven, they do not make that much money on each request, and when considering the time spent on picking up and dropping off, it seems this is a less desired Uber service by the drivers.
Imagine the steps it takes.
- You see the request comes up. You accept.
- You drive to the restaurant.
- You find a parking spot.
- You walk inside the restaurant.
- You wait until the hostess can approach you.
- You wait until the food comes out.
- You walk back to the car.
- You drive to your destination.<-------------------The time you make money.
- You arrive then look for a parking spot.
- You walk to the address.
- You knock and wait at the door.
- You hand over the food
Tell me how this is worth it.